The Lovers Tarot Card Meaning: Being drawn to someone or something, intimacy, sexual union, balance, choice or dilemma.
The Lovers is all about the bliss of coming together and connecting with another person. A whole different realm is experienced when this happens – feeling at one with another, despite any differences. The world may even momentarily cease to exist for these lovers, so enamoured are they.
The Lovers Tarot card meaning doesn’t always refer to a relationship with a person, but can represent having a passionate and all-consuming relationship with a hobby, interest, career or way of thinking. Whatever it is, it takes you out of yourself.
Choice and dilemma are another aspect of The Lovers Tarot card meaning. In other versions of The Lovers, a young man is shown trying to choose between a prostitute and a virgin, representing that age old dilemma of having to choose between stability/excitement or right/wrong.
While The Lovers Tarot card meaning is generally positive, it does represent being in a state of unconsciousness and in this way it is very similar to The Devil Tarot card. In fact, it can be seen as the positive aspects of The Devil Tarot card. In the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, the same “lovers” are pictured again on The Devil card, only with chains on their necks. The Devil represents suffering caused by unconsciousness, while The Lovers symbolize blissful unconsciousness.
- You are so engrossed in a person or activity that you do not notice what is going on around you
- A new relationship is on the horizon, or your current relationship is about to improve
- You are faced with having to choose between two very different things!
- What am I so enamoured with / drawn to right now? How does it take me away from myself?
- How can I celebrate my connection with my partner?
- What dilemma am I currently experiencing?
- Wake up! Do whatever it takes to bring awareness into your daily life
- Do something romantic and thoughtful for your partner
- When making a choice, decide which one aligns most strongly with your higher values.