Here is your Tarot forecast for the week ahead, using the Dame Darcy Mermaid Tarot…
Have a wonderful week 🙂
Is there anything more fun and exciting than getting a new Tarot deck?
Well, okay, I can think of a few things, but exploring a new deck is one of my favorite things to do! And I thought I’d share my process of breaking in a new Tarot or oracle card deck with you.
#1 Make a date with your new deck
I like to set aside an hour or so in the evening or on a lazy Sunday to just go through the deck and look at all the cards. I make it a bit of a ritual by pouring myself a cup of tea or hot cocoa and nesting up in a comfy spot where I won’t be disturbed.
This is usually always my first introduction to a new deck.
I rarely just jump into doing readings right away. Why? Because to me it feels too much like hopping into bed with someone you’ve just met – totally great for some but I need time to warm up.
#2 Cleanse your Tarot cards
Honestly, I’m pretty lax about energetically cleansing my cards. If it’s a brand new deck I often forget, but if it’s a used deck, I always remember. Cleansing your cards can be a nice ritual that helps you bond with your deck and make it yours.
Here are some different ways you can cleanse your cards:
- Light up a big bundle of sage and waft the smoke all over the cards (my favorite!)
- Put your deck in a bag of quartz crystals or simply sit a crystal on top of your deck when you aren’t using it. Those who work with crystals can “program” their crystal to clear the decks energy.
- Spread your cards on a windowsill or table where the moonlight will shine on them and leave them there overnight. Bonus if it’s a full moon!
- Hold the deck in your hands and close your eyes and feel your energy radiating out through your palms and into the cards, cleansing them of any unwanted energies and infusing them with your essence.
#3 Interview your new deck
Instead of asking your deck questions about your life, ask it questions about itself like…
- What kind of a Tarot deck are you? What card sums up your personality?
- What issues/areas of life do you specialize in?
- How can you best help me?
- What quality is most important in a Tarot reader?
- How do you see our relationship?
The cards that come up in response to these questions will give you a nice idea of your decks personality and attitude. This one of my absolute favorite things to do with a new deck!!!
For even more questions, check out this post…
#4 Try some simple one-card readings
Before I get serious and dive into doing full spreads, I like to play around with trying some fun, basic one card Tarot readings.
Here are some ideas to get you started…
How long does it take to “get to know” a Tarot deck”?
I’ve noticed that I take to some decks right away and others take a bit of time to bond with. I recently got the Everyday Witch Tarot and I instantly clicked with it and was able to start doing readings with it right out of the box.
However, most decks take some warming up.
I got the Prisma Visions Tarot as a gift and that deck is deep! It’s not a slam-bam-thank-you-maam deck like the Everyday Witch, that’s for sure. It refuses to just give up the goods at first glance. I’ve been taking my time to slowly get to know this deck for the past few months, as it demands to be read in a slow, thoughtful, soul-excavating manner.
So how long it takes you to “break in” a Tarot or oracle deck will depend on the deck and of course your level of reading experience. When I was new to card reading, it took me much longer to bond with my decks and start doing readings with them. So if you’re a beginner, be patient!
What are YOUR new deck rituals?
What kinds of things do you love to do when you first get a new deck? Please share them in the comments below 🙂 I’d love to hear it!
For this weeks reading I’m using Cheryl Richardson’s Self Care Cards…I forgot to update you on my foster kittens, but you will probably hear them running around in the background. They get fixed early next week and then go up for adoption!
Have a good week 🙂
I was so spaced out this weekend doing Summer things that I almost forgot to make this video! Hopefully my spaciness doesn’t come across too strongly in this reading…
Have a good week 🙂